Mittwoch, 27. November 2013

Protests

Yep, there are protests here. Finally the rest of the world heard about it too. What has been going on for weeks now reached the west. But the media only found it to be interessting enough now, close to getting dangerous.
I am not into politics and I really don't know enough about Thai politics to tell you who is fighting against whom and for what reason. I do know it but there are lots of articles in your language out there that tell you what exactly is happening here much better than I could.

I want to tell you how I experience this. I am living here close to Klong Toei MRT station and I drive to Chulalongkorn university every once in a while and in the city to go shopping. In the first weeks all I saw and heard from the protest were voices far away and some banners hanging around. But as I am attending a TV news class in university I found out more and more. We interviewed students and protesters for a fake newscast, just for practice. But the interviews were real (they thought we were TV guys ^^)  and we got people there telling us how bad the government is in their opinion and a leader saying they don't want to be violent.
We discovered that the whistles they sell here everywhere became the symbol of the demonstrations. People go around here, carrying flags and wearing bands in the Thai colours - and they blow whistles. Thousands of people. It's really loud.
They want to be heard - up to now it seems more or less peacefully here. But who knows what's going to happen next? I don't feel fear. I know that some things just have to be fought out. But I am just hoping that, if they have to fight, it happens after I am safely back in Germany.

Today a group of protesters walked by me at Central World. First motorbikes then people by foot. They cheered to what a leader said and blew their whistles - LOUD
(the video's gonna turn after a few seconds)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen